I have spent the last couple of days researching. Let’s face it, it has been years since I have done any kind of writing besides e-mail. And this time I am going to take this more seriously. I am a writer and want to regain my previous writing skills. Therefore I need to know the rules of the game and right now I am in serious need of writing prompts. To my surprise there are numerous pages of sites available with prompts.
I found several webinars on www.writersdigest.com and listened to all the free ones they had available. I would love to go back to school for creative writing, but that is not on the immediate horizon.
Some of the things I have learned are:
- write everyday – schedule it in – make it a priority
- set a specific goal (written and posted) and it should be measurable – 15 minutes a day, 1500 words a day, etc.
- reward yourself – once hitting your goal choose a reward from your list (example: read for an hour)
- keep a dream journal – pencil and paper by bed
- keep pad and pencil with you at all times – you never know when an idea may hit
There is a vast selection of material to cover every subject about writing, how to write query letters, using correct grammar (which I need to brush up on), and where to send your finished work.
Off to read some more! To your success,