Writing Prompt – the word “score”

We talked about having three children. My husband was hoping for a boy. Back then they didn’t have ultrasounds that could tell you what sex the baby was. Probably a good thing since the first pregnancy resulted in the doctor saying, “It’s a girl!”

Score: Girls – 1, Boys – 0

20 months later I was about to give birth again. We still didn’t know the sex of the baby. My husband was still hoping for his boy. As the head emerged, our breaths were held and as the rest of our child appeared, the doctor said, “It’s a girl!”

Score: Girls – 2, Boys – 0

I am not saying my husband didn’t love his girls, he just wanted a boy to take to scouts and play sports with and other male bonding rituals.

About 8 years after the last girl was born we were talking about the third child we had planned on and I told him that I didn’t want children after I was 30 years old and I was almost 30 at that point. It was now or never!

As we watched a movie one night not so long after that conversation we saw all these babies and decided to go for it. I got pregnant immediately. My husband still wanted a boy, but it was the last baby, girl or boy.

At this point the ultrasounds were able to detect the sex of the baby, but we decided to wait and see rather than knowing ahead of time.

I got out all the old baby (girl) clothes and washed them and put them in the shelves of the bathinette. The baby shower produced a few neutral outfits.

A few months before my 31st birthday, I found myself pushing out another baby. As the doctor received that bundle of joy he said, “It’s a boy!” Now my husband was ecstatic and I had to go shopping.

Score: Girls – 2, Boys 1

This entry was posted in Short Stories, Writing Prompts. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Writing Prompt – the word “score”

1. That’s so cute!!! I always wanted a girl but was never brave enough to try for #3 because the thought of 3 boys would put me 6 feet under. My 2 boys keep me hoppin’.

Thank you! I was happy with girls. They were much easier than my boy to raise. I always heard people telling me that boys were easier to raise, but I don’t see it. 🙂

2. dberonilla says:

What a nice twist on the prompt!
    I think it’s great that your husband got his boy, and I really admire your strength to not find out the sex beforehand! I just am not that kind of person, I start to get nervous if I don’t have a set plan for lunch for Pete’s sake, so imagine my OCD when it’s baby time! Haha.

Thanks for sharing!!

I have OCD, but it didn’t extend to baby time. LOL! Besides if we had found out and it was another girl he would have been disappointed much sooner. This way it was a pleasant surprise. We really expected another girl. Of course we had no clothing for a boy and he wasn’t going to allow his boy to be in pink, even at home, so I had to go buy clothing for him. Which wasn’t all bad, who doesn’t like to shop for baby clothes?

3. That’s awesome!! For awhile, mania would produce inspiration and depression just nothing. But after awhile, mania and depression had the same impact on me. Nothing and nothing and nothing in my head. But I love your tally of children.

Thank you JesterQueen! I am really struggling right now with inspiration. I wrote several different things and finally came up with the tally of children. I have 2 other prompts I usually do and don’t know where to go with them. I might be passing up this week’s prompts. Thank you for reading!

I’m sorry you’re struggling with inspiration this week. Inspiration is sneaky like that…it leaves you with no warning, and then, it shows up in the middle of the night some time later and refuses to let you sleep 🙂

I like your tally, but I’m with JustKeepinItReal – I have two boys and no way am I having a #3 – boy or girl!

Thanks Janna! I know about that sneaky inspiration that wakes you up in the middle of the night and just has to be written. If I had 2 boys I might have made the same decision. The one was hard enough. The girls were so much easier. Funny thing is that before I actually gave birth I wanted 12 kids. I changed my mind real quick about that one. 🙂

5. Amanda says:

We didn’t find out with either of ours (girl first, boy second). I want to find out with this one since I now have a million pink things & a million blue things! Thanks for sharing your story!

Thank you for reading my blog. 🙂 If we had found out I wouldn’t have washed all those little girl things, but seriously I expected another girl. I am glad I was wrong. My daughters found out the sexes of all their kids ahead of time. It does have its advantages with the baby showers. But they have been known to be wrong. I can’t imagine expecting a boy and then getting a girl or vice versa.

6. I loved this take on the prompt 🙂 I could relate… I have 3 girls and then a boy.

7. rosemary mint says: