Evil Lurks Within Us – Part 2

Evil Lurks Within Us

As the violent storm and its weird vision of the man standing outside on her deck receded from her memory, Mary started thinking about this afternoon and the heated conversation she’d had with her husband, Tom. They had their usual fireworks.

It wasn’t fair that she was a captive audience for all his hate. The painful words he had slung at her as he left still rankled every time she thought about it. He was hardly ever around anymore. She had no idea where he was spending his nights. Certainly not with her. She was almost always alone here with her nurse Susan.

Susan was usually good company. Although lately it seemed to be taking her longer and longer to answer the call button. When she tried to talk to Susan about it she would shrug it off.

That had been the subject of their latest argument earlier this afternoon. She had tried to explain her concerns about Susan and how she felt neglected by the two of them. She had wanted to know where Tom had been lately and why he wasn’t sharing her bed. He was acting distant and he wouldn’t answer her questions. He brushed her concerns about Susan off and finally screamed at her to leave him alone. Then he had left without telling her where he was going or when he would be back.

Mary was afraid that Tom had a girlfriend. That would explain the fact that he wasn’t sleeping in their bed. Mary had no way of knowing for sure and she wasn’t about to ask since that would just incur his wrath.

A wrath she didn’t want to experience again because that is what put her into the wheelchair in the first place. One night Tom had accidentally knocked her down the stairs in his anger. Truth be told she was terrified of him, but he was still her husband. He would be, until she sought the freedom she desperately wanted from him.

This entry was posted in Short Stories, Writing Prompts. Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Evil Lurks Within Us – Part 2

1. brenda w says:

Tom needs a little shove out a upper story window… just saying.

2. Thanks so much for linking up with Trifecta. I’m giggling at Brenda W, but I’m agreeing with her all the way. I kind of want to yell at both of them. Good work with the prompt this week! Hope you’ll come back for the weekend challenge.

Hehehe…I like how Brenda thinks 🙂 Tom does sound like a real jerk. I was wondering why she needed a nurse when her husband was still around and appeared to be perfectly mobile, but your last lines cleared that up.

Yep Janna, Tom is not a nice guy at all. Definitely not up for husband of the year. I would want my freedom as well. Thank you for stopping by! 🙂

4. Wisper says:

Here’s to hoping she gets her freedom! Nice job tying the two prompts together into a great response. I wonder why he’s not in trouble for his actions that put her into the wheelchair?

Thanks! These two prompts went together fairly easy. That may not be the case every week. At the moment she is thinking he “accidentally” pushed her down the stairs. Not sure where it is going yet.

5. Oh how awful for her that she’s staying with someone who did such harm to her. And I have a sinking suspicion that her nurse may not be all she seems.

Ahh Angela you are right in your suspicions! Although that wasn’t my original plan, but as I wrote things seemed to take on a mind of their own. 🙂 Thank you for reading and stopping by!

Egad! Another great entry. Starting to feel a little scarred for Mary.

7. Nicely done! My only concrit is extremely minor. Most of this post is cerebral in nature and told in a passive voice. This isn’t an evil thing, but consider flipping to an active voice. Look for all the “had” and “was” in the post, and try to rephrase. “Susan was usually good company. Although lately it seemed to be taking her longer and longer to answer the call button.” becomes “Usually good company, Susan lately took longer and longer to answer the call button.”

Just a thought.

I love the premise to the scene, and I agree that Tom should take a fall from an open window thirty stories up.

Thank you Shelton. Note taken on the active and passive voice although this is something I just recently became familiar with and definitely need to practice. Thirty stories up, flat as a pancake! 🙂

8. beebeesworld says:

After receiving your note saying you had read my Writing on the Edge challenge prompt for this week, I went right to yours. Of course it intrigued me and I went back and read part 1. The story lets me imagine all sorts of events that may have happened before “part 1” and what may happen in the future. The suspense will keep us reading. Great job putting the two prompts together. I will follow your blog, and hope you will consider reading some more of my entries and following me as well. Best wishes, beebeesworld

Thank you! I am following your blog now. This story is complete now for this blog. 8 parts whew! I am thinking about fleshing it out for either for a longer story or maybe even a novel. I can see this happening. It is probably the first thing that I wrote that was even anywhere near being expanded into a possible book. I can see my “Complications” also possibly being expanded. I am glad to see that my creativity is coming back and that I have finally got over my fear of letting people read what I write. Thank you so much for stopping by and reading.