Challenge – Novel’s First Line

The crack of thunder tore me out of a deep sleep, the old childhood fear returning as the lightening illuminated the deck, revealing the shape of a man, face pressed to the glass.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This entry was posted in Writing Prompts. Bookmark the permalink.

42 Responses to Challenge – Novel’s First Line

1. Worst nightmare scenario.. I would read on without a doubt. Hooked me..x

Thank you Rosie. I personally am terrified of thunder and lightening storms and won’t look out windows at night because of what I might see so this fits right into my nightmares. Thank you for stopping by and reading.

2. Gina says:

Ok! I’d be creeped out and probably scream! Usually I find storms soothing but not if this was going down.

3. vivinfrance says:

Good hook. I love thunder and lightning, but am not keen on being peered in at! (what awful grammar I’ve written.)

4. Holy crap! Who is he? What does he want? I’m hooked.

5. Carrie says:

Dum dum duuuuummmmm….a tense beginning to what sounds likes mystery or thriller

6. Lumdog says:

Aside from the thunder and lightning, the face pressed against the glass is creepy and scary enough. I used to close the drapes at night for that reason. I guess I preferred to not know whether someone was lurking. :/

7. Sounds like a thriller in the making.

Funny thing was when I wrote the initial one and continued the story on, I forgot about the man outside, but since I hadn’t made it clear if she really saw him or hallucinated due to pain killers I figure it didn’t matter. When expanding it I might just have to figure out how to include that part possibly. Thank you for stopping by and reading.

This is an attention-grabber. Nothing like multiple fears rolled into one (storms and strange men outside)!

Even knowing the story, the line still pulled me in.
    Great job!

10. kgwaite says:

Woah. Definitely a must-read. Grabber.

11. What a horrifying scenario. This has got to go amazing places with such a dramatic start. Thanks for linking up with us this week. Please come on back Monday for the new prompt.

Thank you! This is now the new line for my series I wrote. I hope to flesh this story out and expand this part about the man outside. This now has the makings of a very long story, a novella or maybe even a novel. 🙂

12. Annabelle says:

Aah! That definitely is nightmare territory, the sort of thing we’ve probably all imagined. Very effective.

13. Marie says:

Oh my. Isn’t that the scariest thing ever?

14. Sandra says:

Wow, definitely a hair-raiser and attention-grabber! Nice start to a novel!

Thank you Sandra! It is actually the new first line for my current multi-part story which I am planning on expanding and fleshing out. Thank you for stopping by and reading!

15. Tara R. says:

Not sure what made me jump more, the thunder or the face at the window. *Shudder*

16. Haunting! More please…

New to Trifecta – and LOVE your piece! Am following you now. 🙂

Christine
    @thatgalkiki

Thank you Christine! I am following you now too. Welcome to Trifecta. Lots of fun! The first 8 parts of this piece are under the fiction-short story tab as “Evil Lurks Within Us.” This will be the new first sentence when I get around to fleshing out the piece.

17. Christine says:

Bang! What an exciting beginning! Lots of ways you could take this, too

18. Shudder! This is awful (in a fun, skin-crawly way).

19. Misky says: