Writing Prompt – “passive vs active voice” – (non-fiction)

For Friday’s writing prompt, a short challenge. Below are three fairly generic passive phrases. Your goal is to make them active in a short scene, either fiction or non-fiction. You can choose one, two, or all three to play with, but you only have 100 words.

1. [he/she/I] was devastated by […]
  2. [feeling] was experienced by […]
  3. [person/thing] was possessed by […]

Passive vs Active Voice

During my childhood I experienced fear many times. In this particular instance I was in my teens and came out of my bedroom and headed towards the stairs to go down. Directly in my path was a full-length mirror. You couldn’t help but look into it as you went past and turned left towards the stairway.

There was something different with the mirror that day. As I stared in horror, I realized that it wasn’t my reflection in the mirror, but that of a teenaged boy of another era. A ghost possessed my mirror. I fled down the stairs.

This entry was posted in Short Stories, Writing Prompts and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Writing Prompt – “passive vs active voice” – (non-fiction)

Yes, a possessed mirror would be terrifying. I’d run, too 🙂

2. bgildea says:

Haha! That was great. A really creative us of the prompts. I would love to see more… 🙂

3. Suzanne says:

Oh my, creepy! Good job!

One tiny misplaced comma: “You couldn’t help but look” doesn’t need the comma after the word help!

Thank you Suzanne! I usually write in the middle of the night when I can’t sleep and obviously can’t proof read either LOL! Thanks for the heads up and reading. Have to remember to correct that.

4. Oh I loved this. I freeze like an opossum though, I probably would not have bolted. 🙂 Excellent use of the prompt!

Thank you! Since this is based on a real story, I know I bolted. I also never looked in that mirror again which was quite a feat since I had to pass that mirror many times before I moved out of that house. It is a wonder I never fell down those stairs in my haste to avoid that mirror. 🙂

5. Oh! It’s a true story? How terrifying. We live in an old house, and I am now so pleased we don’t have a mirror on the staircase.

6. Wisper says:

How creepy scary! I love your description of that moment. I’d love to see what you could do with this as the start to a longer fiction piece.

7. Pingback: Writing Prompt – WOE – June 22, 2012 – “passive vs active voice” | Tessa Can Do IT!

8. Tessa says:

Reblogged this on and commented:

This is non-fiction and belongs over here.

9. Myndrover says:

Love it! I reblogged and wrote one myself.