The Lottery Ticket – Part 2
By Teresa Dean Smeigh
The ticket flutters in the wind, Tim’s mouth is opening and closing, but he’s unable to form a single, coherent word. One-way flight to the moon? Is this for real? What a strange lottery!
The news announcer expectantly glances around the crowd waiting for someone to yell that he or she has won. Except for the crowd muttering to itself, silence reigns.
Tim finally breaks his reverie and yells, “I won!” The crowd swarms around him, pressing in.
“Out of my way, out of my way,” the announcer says as he tries to get to Tim. Slowly the crowd parts and he eventually makes it to Tim’s side. Someone tries to yank the ticket out of Tim’s hand. The cops begin moving the crowd back, using force where necessary.
Tim swallows nervously and eyes the crowd.. This whole experience is surreal. Is he dreaming?
“Ladies and gentlemen may I have your attention please?” The crowd begins to quiet down and look expectantly towards the announcer.
“Sir, what is your name?”
“Tim Ryan. Is this a joke?”
“No, sir, it is not a joke. Lunar Landings is offering this once-in-a-lifetime prize to help populate their new development on the moon. The prize includes the one-way shuttle flight to the moon, a job at Lunar Landings, plus your own house. The only requirement is that you must stay with the company for at least 10 years and if you decide to return to earth you will have to pay the cost of the return ticket.
Tim grins. A job, a house and his ex-wife and her mother far, far away. What could be better?
“When do I leave?”
- 23,940 hits
Follow me on TwitterMy Tweets
- 5 Years Ago Today
- Getting a Sleep Study with Fibromyalgia or CFS
- New Plan For This Blog
- Attention all followers, I am not going to update this blog, but no longer deleting and moving the older stuff.
- Three Word Wednesday 537 – Haiku
- One liner Wednesday – Wheelchair or Walk?
- Susie’s Toys – Friday Fictioneers May 31, 2017
- 100 Word Challenge – Storm – May 31, 2017
- Weekly Writing Prompt #89
- Three Word Wednesday 301 – Haiku
- RonovanWrites #Weekly #Haiku #Poetry Prompt #Challenge #148-Fast and Plain
- Colleen’s Weekly #Poetry Challenge – Clean and Sharp
- Colleen’s Weekly #Poetry Challenge – Lead & Save
- Three Word Wednesday 530 – Shadorma
- Lost Friends! (Shadorma)
- Love! (Haiku)
- Haiku Horizons prompt “link” number 167
- Colleen’s Weekly #Poetry Challenge # 31 – PEACE & TEAR
Three Word Wednesday
The Light and Shade Challenge
Flash Fiction for Writers
Sunday Photo Fiction
100 Word Challenge