The Lottery Ticket – Part 2
By Teresa Dean Smeigh
The ticket flutters in the wind, Tim’s mouth is opening and closing, but he’s unable to form a single, coherent word. One-way flight to the moon? Is this for real? What a strange lottery!
The news announcer expectantly glances around the crowd waiting for someone to yell that he or she has won. Except for the crowd muttering to itself, silence reigns.
Tim finally breaks his reverie and yells, “I won!” The crowd swarms around him, pressing in.
“Out of my way, out of my way,” the announcer says as he tries to get to Tim. Slowly the crowd parts and he eventually makes it to Tim’s side. Someone tries to yank the ticket out of Tim’s hand. The cops begin moving the crowd back, using force where necessary.
Tim swallows nervously and eyes the crowd.. This whole experience is surreal. Is he dreaming?
“Ladies and gentlemen may I have your attention please?” The crowd begins to quiet down and look expectantly towards the announcer.
“Sir, what is your name?”
“Tim Ryan. Is this a joke?”
“No, sir, it is not a joke. Lunar Landings is offering this once-in-a-lifetime prize to help populate their new development on the moon. The prize includes the one-way shuttle flight to the moon, a job at Lunar Landings, plus your own house. The only requirement is that you must stay with the company for at least 10 years and if you decide to return to earth you will have to pay the cost of the return ticket.
Tim grins. A job, a house and his ex-wife and her mother far, far away. What could be better?
“When do I leave?”
- 24,638 hits
Follow me on TwitterMy Tweets
- Missing shoe? – Friday Fictioneers Photo Prompt
- The Kidnapping – 9/7/15
- Prompt – haiku (freedom)
- Beep Boop Boop Beep! FFfAW
- RonovanWrites #Weekly #Haiku #Poetry Prompt #Challenge #68 Muse&Pen
- An Explosion of Colors
- Word Prompt– Week of 09-22-2015
- Haiku Challenge – Wing
- RonovanWrites #Weekly #Haiku #Poetry Prompt #Challenge #111-Rhyme&Reason
- Kittens – Haiku
- The Last Call – Haiku – Ronovan Writes #67
- Another writing question. Looking for opinions.
- Flash Fiction Challenge: 6 Word Story (19.09.15)
- RonovanWrites #Weekly #Haiku #Poetry Prompt #Challenge #114 Magic and Stars
- Forgive me my sins, Oh Lord! – Haiku
- Autumn Mist – Haiku
- RonovanWrites #Weekly #Haiku #Poetry Prompt #Challenge #109-Hope&Up
- RonovanWrites #Weekly #Haiku #Poetry Prompt #Challenge #74 Cake&Wolf
- RonovanWrites #Weekly #Haiku #Poetry Prompt #Challenge #113 Beach and Time
- Chapter 3 of Government Property is now posted.