Phobia, Shmobia – prompt for the Daily News

fire-253614_1280

Phobia, Shmobia

Fears evolve over time. What is one fear you’ve conquered?

___________________________________

One of my most most serious phobias is my fear of fire. Not a campfire. A building fire, house, the Twin Towers etc. I have PTSD from the Twin Towers. I have PTSD from the fire that was in my job at the officers club at Cherry Point, NJ MCAS. I was trapped in there until someone stopped panicking and broke out the windows with a chair. We got out and ran down the path with glass exploding all around us and suffering from smoke inhalation.

As a child I was not allowed to watch the news because there was always at least one fire. I couldn’t watch shows or movies based on fires. For example “Towering Inferno” was a no-no. I have matured enough now that I can watch a fire and not have horrendous night mares that wake the world up. And I have watched “Towering Inferno” many times. Now one of my favorite movies.

I think though that being in another one would bring back those horrible fears.

This entry was posted in Non-Fiction. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Phobia, Shmobia – prompt for the Daily News

1. AnnIsikArts says:

I can’t watch anything to do with the Titanic. Guess what I’m afeared of. 🙂

Drowning? I am afraid of putting my head under the water so that would include drowning. I would hate to be on a burning ship with the ocean in front of me and fire behind me. Not a good thing.

2. AnnIsikArts says:

Yes, but it’s peculiar. I DID almost drown once (rescued) and I had to force myself into the water again to get over it. I did. That’s normal. My phobia is specifically to do with the Titanic! It started when I was 16, when I saw the first Titanic movie. I had a full-blown panic attack (first and last one) while watching the latest Titanic movie (the one with Di Caprio). 🙂

Yet I have a fascination in watching ships sink. Could it be the sinking of the ship. Maybe you were a passenger in another life if you believe in that.

• AnnIsikArts says:

Well, you know, my husband travels a lot because of his job. Once, he had to go to Newfoundland. Naturally, he described his experiences to me when he came back. He also brought back some recordings of Newfoundland folk music. I found myself very attracted to the place. I played the music over and over. I wanted to go there. Still do. It was a very long time after that – years – that I learnt of the connection between the Titanic and Newfoundland. Make what you will of that! 🙂

Well I don’t know the connection between the two off the top of my head.

• AnnIsikArts says:

In the house of my father there are many mansions. (If I’ve not got the passage quite right, forgive me). Blessings and healing to you and thanks for being in the world! 🙂

Thank you for caring and giving thanks that I am in the world. I am thankful that you are too. I am thankful that most of us are in the world. Although there are some I wish weren’t. Too many bad people in this world as well.

• AnnIsikArts says:

It’s shades of grey, isn’t it? And more than 50 – I’m not talking about THAT BOOK – but of ‘badness’. There’s a tiny core of really evil people and then there’s those they draw in and infect in varying degrees. I am always cheered in the knowledge that goodness i.e. Love must be the prevailing force or the planet would certainly have been blown to smithereens by now. 🙂

3. Su says:

I dont do photoshoot and look at snakes. Thats what i fear!

4. Su says:

Oh and also make it I am claustrophobic…