Written by Teresa Dean Smeigh
Copyright September 2015
She tried to concentrate on her painting, but she could hear soft noises from over by the large oak tree.
“Mommy?” came a little child’s voice. Then “Mommy, is that you?”
Barbie walked over to the tree to confront the intruders. Standing there was a cop holding a little girl’s hand. The little girl had red hair and freckles just like Barbie.
Barbie stared and the little girl said, “Mommy, I missed you!”
“Ma’am, I am sorry to intrude, but our investigation has dug up the information that this little girl is yours.”
“But my sister told me she drowned,” tears running down her face.
“When a report came through the station with the sighting of a little girl screaming that the woman wasn’t her mommy, they held them and investigated and found the drowning report. Your sister finally confessed.”
“Oh Bonnie, I’ve missed you so much.”
Guide for Flash Fiction for Aspiring Writers
1. A prompt photo will be provided each Tuesday to be used as a base to your story. Please include photo prompt with your story.
2. Linking for this challenge begins on Tuesday and runs to the following Tuesday.
3. Please credit photo to photographer
4. The story word limit is 100 – 150 words (+ – 25 words). Please try and stay within this limit.
5. Pingback to the challenge post in your story’s post.
6. This is a flash fiction challenge (stories in 100-175 words or less) and each story should have a beginning, a middle, and an end. Therefore, no serial (continuation) stories. They become too complicated for our readers.
7. Add your story to the InLinkz Link-up (Blue Froggy button). If you need link-up instructions, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
8. Remember, half the fun is reading and commenting on each other’s stories.