Writing Prompt – “fate” – (non-fiction)

This was published originally on June 12, 2012

This week, write a fiction or creative non-fiction piece where fate plays a prominent role. You can write from the position of a complete belief or absolute disbelief in the role of fate in our lives or the lives of our characters.

You have 400 words to play with!

Fate and My Job

Laid off again, the uncertainty blinds me.
The search resumes, but where this time.
Today’s email contains a reminder to resubmit
my resume to the bank, and I think about it.

I am terrified of telephones, call centers especially,
but something tells me to resubmit for some reason.
I can’t ignore the feeling, polish the resume and submit.
The phone rings the next day and they want to interview.

Decide to take the chance, surely they won’t hire me,
but someone else speaks through me. I am hired! How can this be?
I struggle through training, panic sets in, it is not my thing.
Still someone else is guiding me on this journey, but why?

I whip through the written training, at this I can do well.
Takes me longer than others to leave the nest, but I do not quit!
The job feeds my fears, I do not want to go in to work each day.
Then suddenly there is pain, I am scared. I can’t work like this!

Perfect attendance is ruined as I make the rounds of doctors seeking answers.
What is wrong with me I cry. I cannot take this anymore!
The doctor takes me out of work and the company provides long term disability.
This was a surprise, but a welcome one as I still need a paycheck each week.

Five years have passed and I am still out of work on disability.
The first year spent with no answers at all. Now I know the reason I
got that job. It is all about fate and being provided for. I needed
stability and God knew that he needed to help me survive.

This entry was posted in Poems, Writing Prompts. Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Writing Prompt – “fate” – (non-fiction)

This is quite an amazing tale of fate. I’m guessing this is non-fiction? If so, I’m glad you are taken care of during this time 🙂

Thank you! And yes it is non-fiction. I and everyone I know could not figure out why I ended up working there. Now I know! Thank you for caring!

2. Well written! I like the stanza format. And how wonderful that your job led to an evaluation and longterm disability! Not as good as answers and healing, but at least you’re taken care of (somewhat) financially speaking.

Thank you! I had no idea where this was going this week when I started to put it together. I decided on the current format earlier Thursday night and it worked. Thank you for reading. And I now have SSDI which I was approved the first time around and in 6 months time. Very unusual, but I had a company help me apply. They did all the work. The rest of it I live with as best I can. The answers I got weren’t very helpful, but the doctor bouncing has stopped now that I have no insurance until Medicare kicks in next year. Sorry writing a novel here 🙂

3. I’m six months in the lay-off boat at the moment. Like you, I’m a writer, not a telephone speaker.

I love that this is a poem. Makes it shinier, brighter somehow. Good luck with the medical stuff!

Thank you for reading and the well wishes and good luck finding a job if that is your intent.
      Making it a poem amazed me, but sometimes they write themselves. I really am not big on writing poems, but sometimes it seems I have no choice. I listen to my inner self and figure it knows where to go.

4. Wisper says:

I, too, love the poem format. I think you did a great job packing in so much in such a short piece. The rhythm is well done.

Thank you! I simply could not get it to work in a story format, but the poem just flowed. So I knew that was the way to go. Thank you for reading.

5. jenhasapen says:

How awesome is your company? I’m so happy they are treating you so well, but I am sorry you are having such health problems. I hope you find some answers soon!

6. Very nice. Like how it was written.

7. Cameron says:

Things definitely happen for a reason. Glad you’re getting some of the care you need!

Thank you and thank you for reading my post. Things always happen for a reason, but sometimes it takes us a while to figure out the “why”.

8. Tessa says:

Reblogged this on and commented:

Non-fiction originally published on June 15,, 2012