Sunlight

Sunlight

Sunlight, so intensely bright,

Nothing to block out the light.

Shade your eyes, cover your skin,

Mustn’t let the sunlight in

Need relief from it’s bright glare.

Open your eyes if you dare!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This week’s Trifextra challenge:

On to the weekend challenge.  As you’ll recall from your elementary science class days, the structure of the earth can be divided most simply into three sections: core, mantle, crust.  Here’s a diagram.

Trifextra sun diagram

Image courtesy of Danilo Rizzuti / FreeDigitalPhotos.net

Give us 33 words from it.  Interpret the prompt however you wish–literal, metaphorical, or somewhere in between.  If you would like to use the image on your own blog, you must properly credit it.

Teresa (Tessa) Smeigh is now in her 60's and still going strong despite her disabilities affecting both physical and mental abilities. She has bipolar disorder (mental), Fibromyalgia (nerves), degenerative disc disease (spine), and arthritis (joints). Despite that she is active in Mental Health Advocating, writing for www.IBPF.org (volunteer for non-profit) and has 5 blog posts already published by them. She is also working on 2 fiction books (mysteries). She keeps her blog filled with useful content, daily devotionals (She is a Christian), stories and poems. Plenty to keep you busy. She has also been interviewed by blogs and had other posts published on many different blogs. She is from Deptford, NJ. Her family and blog keep her busy.
This entry was posted in Poems, Writing Prompts and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to Sunlight

1. barbara says:

my eyes! my eyes! 🙂 nicely done.

2. Kim Song says:

haha love the rhyming! 🙂 Thank you for sharing!

3. atrm61 says:

Love the rhythm u have created here-interesting take:-)

4. deanabo says:

How great! This took me back to laying out by the pool this summer!

5. Lumdog says:

I need my sunglasses just to read this! Nice.

6. Cobbie's World says:

A poem with rhyming words is refreshing poem to read. I enjoyed the cadence of your words and the energy that this produced.

I think I’ll keep my eyes closed 🙂

8. Gina says:

I felt myself visualizing being outside squinting. Loved how different it was.

9. Draug419 says:

I felt like I was under a solar beam! (: Great job!

10. Christine says:

Kind of an inside-out take on the prompt – neat!

11. SAM says:

This is my first time reading your poetry I think, and I really liked it. It flowed like a nursery rhyme (aren’t they all really dark anyway?). I loved it!

Thank you Sam! Most of my work is dark because that is where my mind dwells so much of the time, but I have at least one that starts dark and ends funny. But you know reading this over again I realize there is another way to look at it than what I was writing. It fits more into what you are thinking. I originally started with the earth colliding with the sun and it wasn’t going to fit and then the whole thing just changed and the rhythm came to mind and I changed it. I find things don’t always turn out like you think they will. Glad you stopped by! Been enjoying the Elven Story.

• SAM says:

I have a book of nursery rhymes my 5 yr old was given by his teacher. In almost all of those there’s some element of dark—rock a bye baby (The cradle falls), Jack n Jill fall and hurt themselves, even Wee Willie Winkle has a sinister tone to it. LOl. Your poem is beautiful in that way. It can be interpreted in so many ways.