Dinosaurs – by Teresa Smeigh

Squealing tires snap me out of my reverie, causing me to slam on my brakes. I curse as a car shoots out of the car dealership’s driveway just ahead of me. My anger dissipates as I admire the shiny, new sports car accelerating quickly and disappearing out of my view.

One day I will have a sports car just like that one!

Blaring horns remind me that I am blocking traffic. Removing my foot from the brake, I follow behind the sports car at a more sedate speed.

Traffic is slowing down and again I come to a full stop. I strain to see what is holding up the traffic. As I move closer to the obstruction I notice that the shiny, new sports car is stopped dead in the center of the road. I park on the side of the road and help the driver and a few other men push the car off to the side.

“The engine just stopped, no warning,” says the driver, pulling his cell phone out of his pocket. “This is a brand new car, I literally just pulled out of the sales lot from the dealership down the street.”

We commiserate with him and then head for our own cars. I start the engine of my car. It turns over right away. Patting the dashboard of my faithful, old dinosaur, I revise my thoughts on owning a new, shiny sports car. They don’t make cars like they used to!

My name is Tessa Dean and I am an author and blogger. My writing styles vary and I love writing using prompts. I am also writing my first book, a Memoir entitled "Government Property - A Memoir of a Military Wife".  This is being published on the blog rather than the traditional way. I am putting up chapters as I go along. I keep my blog filled with useful content, stories, and poems. Plenty to keep you busy. I have also been interviewed by blogs and had other posts published on many different blogs. I also wrote a series of articles on Bipolar Disorder for IBPF (International Bipolar Foundation). I am in my 60’s and disabled which allows me plenty of time to write to my heart’s content. I live in southern New Jersey and have 3 children and 5 grandchildren. My oldest grandchild is a Sargent in the United States Marine Corps.
This entry was posted in Writing Prompts. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Dinosaurs – by Teresa Smeigh

1. Lumdog says:

I’m glad your dinosaur is so reliable. It’s probably a guy thing, but I’m all fired up about the sports car until you deflated my tires. Nice take on the prompt.

Thank you Lumdog! I happen to love sports cars myself, even if I am a female. My dinosaur is only 6 years old, not a sports car sadly. 🙂 I thought about this because my daughter and I were out Black Friday shopping and the already crazy traffic came to a dead halt. It was a woman, crying behind the wheel because her brand new car, that she had just driven off the lot, had simply stopped.

You know what I like best about dinosaur cars that run? NO car payment!! Every time I’m enchanted by a shiny new cars, I think of that and decide they aren’t that great after all. (I have a sedan…with kids a coupe would be a huge mistake ’cause they’d trash the seats getting out.)

I am only about 6 or 7 months from paying off my car. I hate having to put car seats and babies into the back seat of coupes. LOL! Thank you for stopping by.

3. FKC says:

I really like the new car stopping dead right off the lot. Great imagery there!

4. Dinosaur cars are great. My first car was a bit of a dinosaur. I was not the coolest kid at high school, but she never broke down, either. Great job with the prompt.

Thank you! My son had a dinosaur car too. My really old car when I bought a slightly newer very old car LOL! He made the choice of no car or old car. Thank you for stopping by.

Love it! I much prefer the old-reliable to the sparkly-shiny.
    really good telling of the story too!