Dinosaurs – by Teresa Smeigh

Squealing tires snap me out of my reverie, causing me to slam on my brakes. I curse as a car shoots out of the car dealership’s driveway just ahead of me. My anger dissipates as I admire the shiny, new sports car accelerating quickly and disappearing out of my view.

One day I will have a sports car just like that one!

Blaring horns remind me that I am blocking traffic. Removing my foot from the brake, I follow behind the sports car at a more sedate speed.

Traffic is slowing down and again I come to a full stop. I strain to see what is holding up the traffic. As I move closer to the obstruction I notice that the shiny, new sports car is stopped dead in the center of the road. I park on the side of the road and help the driver and a few other men push the car off to the side.

“The engine just stopped, no warning,” says the driver, pulling his cell phone out of his pocket. “This is a brand new car, I literally just pulled out of the sales lot from the dealership down the street.”

We commiserate with him and then head for our own cars. I start the engine of my car. It turns over right away. Patting the dashboard of my faithful, old dinosaur, I revise my thoughts on owning a new, shiny sports car. They don’t make cars like they used to!

Teresa (Tessa) Smeigh at 60 plus is still going strong despite her disabilities affecting both physical and mental abilities. She has bipolar disorder (mental), Fibromyalgia (nerves), degenerative disc disease (spine), and arthritis (joints). Her new journey's include Diabetes controlled by insulin. She is also working on 2 fiction books (mysteries). The books will probably never be finished. She keeps her blog filled with useful content, occasional devotionals (She is a Christian), stories and poems. Plenty to keep you busy. She has also been interviewed by blogs and had other posts published on many different blogs. She is from Southern, NJ. Her family and blog keep her busy.
This entry was posted in Writing Prompts and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Dinosaurs – by Teresa Smeigh

1. Lumdog says:

I’m glad your dinosaur is so reliable. It’s probably a guy thing, but I’m all fired up about the sports car until you deflated my tires. Nice take on the prompt.

Thank you Lumdog! I happen to love sports cars myself, even if I am a female. My dinosaur is only 6 years old, not a sports car sadly. 🙂 I thought about this because my daughter and I were out Black Friday shopping and the already crazy traffic came to a dead halt. It was a woman, crying behind the wheel because her brand new car, that she had just driven off the lot, had simply stopped.

You know what I like best about dinosaur cars that run? NO car payment!! Every time I’m enchanted by a shiny new cars, I think of that and decide they aren’t that great after all. (I have a sedan…with kids a coupe would be a huge mistake ’cause they’d trash the seats getting out.)

I am only about 6 or 7 months from paying off my car. I hate having to put car seats and babies into the back seat of coupes. LOL! Thank you for stopping by.

3. FKC says:

I really like the new car stopping dead right off the lot. Great imagery there!

4. Dinosaur cars are great. My first car was a bit of a dinosaur. I was not the coolest kid at high school, but she never broke down, either. Great job with the prompt.

Thank you! My son had a dinosaur car too. My really old car when I bought a slightly newer very old car LOL! He made the choice of no car or old car. Thank you for stopping by.

Love it! I much prefer the old-reliable to the sparkly-shiny.
    really good telling of the story too!