To my writing friends, a question?

Have you ever started a story with an ending that you had, but no beginning and built from there? Is it a possibility? I had a nightmare (nothing new there). The ending really got me and I started losing the dream as I struggled out of bed to get pen and paper to write it down. I filled in a little to help remember. I am just not sure how to write backwards?

Teresa (Tessa) Dean Smeigh

-Advocate for Mental and Invisible Illnesses

-Author of Articles, Stories and Poems

This entry was posted in General and How-to Posts and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to To my writing friends, a question?

1. Tessa says:

Reblogged this on Advocate for Mental and Invisible Illnesses and commented:

Any one have any ideas?

• Your post caught my attention on two scores. I got stuck in the middle of a short story a few years ago and mentioned it to a published writer friend who suggested that I try writing the ending and then fill in the in-between. To my surprise it worked. Later I awoke from a dream that I completely recalled. It was more like recalling a movie I’d just seen. I only embellished it a bit to make it a complete short story (I made up the beginning and the end!). I wish I would have more dreams like that. I too keep pencil and paper by my bed but seldom reach for them before dreams flit off like moths made of smoke!

I usually get a middle and start from there, but really I write differently all the time. I don’t remember being presented with the end first. I don’t like to remember my dreams because they are scary as hell. I do write scary stories at times though, if they stick to me like this one is. Thank you for your comments.

2. I’ve never really had that…maybe it’s because I always try to forget my nightmares.

3. Susan Langer says:

You could start with the dream as a prequel to the story and use your dream as a “picture prompt” so to speak since it is a series of pictures in a dream and go where you want to with it. Sounds interesting. Haven’t done it in a story, but sometimes I write poetry backward with just one thought in mind and have at it.

Liked by 3 people

Thanks Susan. A prequal. Interesting idea, but would need to make it a longer story. I start a lot of stories and stop and give up. This one is begging to be written.

4. orbb80 says:

Not that I have written many stories, but I find knowing where I’m going with it to be helpful.

5. whatever happened to the story you were writing and posting? is it here somewhere?

6. jazzyjenness says:

i’m still working on adding from the beginning and middle as odd as that sounds, but what I’ve learned so far in school is to ask questions. How did your character(s) become who they are? How did they get where they are? Why are they who they are? Why are they there? What was their main objective or goal? Think also about the themes that may lie in the ending that you have.
    Hope this helps.